Amid a sea of orange, Brisbane snared yet another penalty win after both sides were deadlocked at 1-1 at the end of 120 minutes.

Wanderers took a deserved lead in the first half through a Terry Antonis penalty (45+2') before hitman Jamie Maclaren had Roar back on level pegging early in the second (55').

The game went to extra time and when late sub Jaushua Sotirio was pinged with a second yellow (103'), Tony Popovic's men were down to 10.

Both goalkeepers were inspired - Michael Theo and Vedran Janjetovic pulling off spectacular saves to stop a scoreline blowout.

But with a potential penalty shootout looming Theo was subbed injured on 98 minutes and Jamie Young took the gloves - immediately thwarting a Wanderers attack.

And Young proved the hero. With the shootout locked 5-5, Young blocked Jumpei Kusukami to see Roar snatch the win.

Sudden death: Roar v Wanderers pic special


Roar found themselves on the defence during the early exchanges as the Wanderers peppered Michael Theo in the roar goal, through an attacking 4-3-3 lineup.

The veteran keeper pulled out a double-stop that turned back the clock in the first five minutes, stretching first to deny Brendon Santalab before blocking a follow up from Nicolas Martinez seconds later.

Minutes later, and Martinez weaved his way through the Roar defence, but pulled his shot wide as the visitors looked to open the scoring.

Roar weren't without their options with captain Jade North the unlikeliest of suppliers, but couldn't head the ball through a spate of bodies in the box after a succession of corners earned by the home team.

Brett Holman almost repeated his heroics from last week after some great lead up play from Thomas Broich and Jamie Maclaren with the latter squaring the ball back for the former Socceroo to pull his shot just wide of the goal.

Tempers began to flare as both sides struggled to break through on the scoreboard with Santalab then Holman going into the book shortly after the half hour mark.

Martinez again drew a top drawer save from Theo before Santalab again earned the ire of the Roar faithful with a lazy challenge on Kristensen, with coach John Aloisi joining the crowd in calling for the Wanderers striker to be sanctioned for his fifth foul of the night.

Controversy reared its head in the last few breaths of the first half as Avram Papadopolous was deemed to have brought down Santalab in the penalty area and Terry Antonis silenced the home support, drilling the ball home from the spot to give the visitors the lead.

Marquee man Thomas Broich, who earlier this week announced his departure from the Roar at the end of the season, found the Roar’s only shot on target with the final kick of the half, but it wasn’t enough to stop the home side from going into the break behind.

Just minutes after the break and the German almost provided the equaliser, after Corey Brown found some space on the left hand side of the pitch before squaring back for Broich, who couldn’t direct his shot past the nearest body.

But it wouldn't take long for the 17,530-strong crowd to get their reward with a sizzling counter attack finding Broich again on the ball with a deft through pass to Brandon Borello.

The winger’s original shot rebounded off the upright but the ball landed at the feet of the perfectly placed Maclaren who tapped home from close range on 54 minutes.

The game took a turn for the bizarre on the hour mark, with the Wanderers handed a controversial free kick for a reported backpass, however the resulting shot was easily dealt with.

The rejuvenated Roar, willed on by their home support, almost found a decider with fifteen minutes to go, with Holman pulling a great save out of Wanderers goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic, before a follow up by Borello was cleared by Scott Neville.

Borello again found the upright with a volley in the last few minute of the second half after a glorious ball by Broich and again in injury time, the winger was unleashed only to find the safe hands of the Wanderers keeper.

The Wanderers had a chance to steal a sudden death winner after a sneaky ball from Santalab found substitute Jaushua Sotirio however the youngster smashed the ball sky high as regulation time drew to a close.

Into extra time the match entered, and just minutes in time the home side were dealt a blow after Theo was taken off following a horrible clash with Antonis and his understudy Young was brought straight into the action with a great one handed save from a powerful strike from Santalab.

The visitors would also be dealt their own blow after Sotirio was given his marching orders after a poor challenge on Brown, with Borello also receiving a yellow for his involvement in the following exchanges.

In the second half of extra-time, Tommy Oar had the home fans on their feet with a clever shot on goal and a subsequent free kick straight down the throat of Janjetovic signalled Brisbane’s intent to find a winner but almost inevitably, the match would be decided on penalties.

Borello, D’Agostino, Maclaren, DeVere and Kristensen all landed their penalties while Wanderers aces Antonis, Dimas, Martinez, Hammill and Cornthwaite all matched their Roar counterparts.

Enter sudden death and Oar stepped up to curl the Roar into the lead to the right of the outstretched Janjetovic.

It was up to Jumpei to keep the Wanderers in the hunt, and the Japanese dynamo’s tame shot landed straight in the hands of Young sending the home fans into pandemonium.

The Roar will now go on to play Melbourne Victory next Sunday at AAMI Park in a sudden death semi-final, while the winner of tomorrow night’s clash between Melbourne City and Perth Glory will face premiers Sydney FC.

ROAR 1 (6): (Maclaren 55')

WANDERERS 1 (5): (Antonis 45+2' pen)

CROWD: 17,530