Avram Grant insists he will walk away from the job the moment Chelsea say they are not happy with him.
Grant's future came under the spotlight again last week when chairman Bruce Buck declined to give a straight answer to fans over whether the Israeli would be in charge of the club next season.
The club have always insisted Grant will remain as manager but the lack of a definitive answer from Buck put the issue back on the agenda once more.
Since Grant replaced Jose Mourinho last September he has taken the Blues to within striking distance of Manchester United at the top of the Barclays Premier League and into the semi-finals of the Champions League.
Grant, preparing for tomorrow night's home clash with Wigan at Stamford Bridge, insists he has told billionaire owner Roman Abramovich to fire him whenever he is not happy with the job he is doing.
"I have told all my owners that if the club at any stage are not happy they can tell me and I will go," said Grant.
"It is not a matter of money and I am sure that if I was not happy at some stage and wanted to go, the club would understand. All my life it has been like this and it won't change.
"I agree with Bruce about this situation of the team. Nobody thought we would be in this situation when I took over the team.
"I came to lead another way, a different way, we have seen that it will take more time. But we have won a lot of games and the football is good.
"Of course, it is not 100% but it is good. I need to do my job. We are together."
The big problem for Grant ahead of the game against Wigan stems from a crisis in the goalkeeping department.
First choice Petr Cech is out of action with a facial problem but he is back in training and, earlier this week, trained with a mask to protect his stitches.
Grant is unsure about playing the Czech Republic international and is waiting for guidance from the medical department before making any decision.
It is unlikely Cech will be risked because another blow in the face could have major repercussions for his injury, but Carlo Cudicini suffered a hamstring injury against Fenerbahce and could miss the rest of the season.
"Carlo is not available for the next few weeks," confirmed Grant. "We will know better next week. I think it will be around four weeks but with the same injury a few players come back at different times.
"There is a possibility he could be out for the season. We will check the situation later.
"Petr Cech is improving but we have not finished the training. We need to speak with the medical department to analyse what is happening."
Victory over Wigan will keep up the pressure on United at the top and, if they beat Everton on Thursday night, their showdown with Sir Alex Ferguson's men will take on even greater significance.
"We are in the best situation since I came here," said Grant. "Even when we started and five teams were ahead of us, we always believed we could do something in the league - we believe it especially now."
Chelsea have worked wonders to be in such a strong position at home and in Europe but speculation continues to link players with other clubs - including striker Andriy Shevchenko.
He has again been linked with a return to former club AC Milan but Grant insists he wants to keep the bulk of his squad together.
"I don't know what will happen next season with the squad but basically we want to keep the same squad for next year," he said.
"I know that it is reasonable that other clubs may want some of my players, but we want all the squad.
"I have not spoken to Andriy. He was injured and now he is better. That is what is important. He has had a very strange season. When he was good, he got injured and then it was not easy for him to come back.
"We are concentrating on the end of the season and his contribution to the team. I think he will stay."
Grant also quashed suggestions that captain John Terry was unhappy with the performance of some of his team-mates during the 2-0 win over Fenerbahce in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Terry was alleged to have spoken out about their lacklustre performances but Grant denied his captain was angry.
"I was in the dressing room and John was very happy," said Grant. "I was happy with the game. Everybody was happy."
The club have always insisted Grant will remain as manager but the lack of a definitive answer from Buck put the issue back on the agenda once more.
Since Grant replaced Jose Mourinho last September he has taken the Blues to within striking distance of Manchester United at the top of the Barclays Premier League and into the semi-finals of the Champions League.
Grant, preparing for tomorrow night's home clash with Wigan at Stamford Bridge, insists he has told billionaire owner Roman Abramovich to fire him whenever he is not happy with the job he is doing.
"I have told all my owners that if the club at any stage are not happy they can tell me and I will go," said Grant.
"It is not a matter of money and I am sure that if I was not happy at some stage and wanted to go, the club would understand. All my life it has been like this and it won't change.
"I agree with Bruce about this situation of the team. Nobody thought we would be in this situation when I took over the team.
"I came to lead another way, a different way, we have seen that it will take more time. But we have won a lot of games and the football is good.
"Of course, it is not 100% but it is good. I need to do my job. We are together."
The big problem for Grant ahead of the game against Wigan stems from a crisis in the goalkeeping department.
First choice Petr Cech is out of action with a facial problem but he is back in training and, earlier this week, trained with a mask to protect his stitches.
Grant is unsure about playing the Czech Republic international and is waiting for guidance from the medical department before making any decision.
It is unlikely Cech will be risked because another blow in the face could have major repercussions for his injury, but Carlo Cudicini suffered a hamstring injury against Fenerbahce and could miss the rest of the season.
"Carlo is not available for the next few weeks," confirmed Grant. "We will know better next week. I think it will be around four weeks but with the same injury a few players come back at different times.
"There is a possibility he could be out for the season. We will check the situation later.
"Petr Cech is improving but we have not finished the training. We need to speak with the medical department to analyse what is happening."
Victory over Wigan will keep up the pressure on United at the top and, if they beat Everton on Thursday night, their showdown with Sir Alex Ferguson's men will take on even greater significance.
"We are in the best situation since I came here," said Grant. "Even when we started and five teams were ahead of us, we always believed we could do something in the league - we believe it especially now."
Chelsea have worked wonders to be in such a strong position at home and in Europe but speculation continues to link players with other clubs - including striker Andriy Shevchenko.
He has again been linked with a return to former club AC Milan but Grant insists he wants to keep the bulk of his squad together.
"I don't know what will happen next season with the squad but basically we want to keep the same squad for next year," he said.
"I know that it is reasonable that other clubs may want some of my players, but we want all the squad.
"I have not spoken to Andriy. He was injured and now he is better. That is what is important. He has had a very strange season. When he was good, he got injured and then it was not easy for him to come back.
"We are concentrating on the end of the season and his contribution to the team. I think he will stay."
Grant also quashed suggestions that captain John Terry was unhappy with the performance of some of his team-mates during the 2-0 win over Fenerbahce in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Terry was alleged to have spoken out about their lacklustre performances but Grant denied his captain was angry.
"I was in the dressing room and John was very happy," said Grant. "I was happy with the game. Everybody was happy."
Copyright (c) Press Association
Related Articles

Postecoglou looking to A-League to 'develop young talent'
.jpeg&h=172&w=306&c=1&s=1)
Big change set to give Socceroos star new lease on life in the EPL
