Former Brisbane Roar star Dimitri Petratos will join his brother Kosta in Newcastle Jets colours next season after the attacking midfielder finalised a two-season deal on Tuesday.
In January the Jets announced the Dimitri was due to the join the Jets from Roar, while Kosta would link up with the men from McDonald Jones Stadium via Perth Glory.
However by early February Dimitri’s deal had taken a twist, with Brisbane opting to sell one of their aces to K-League club Ulsan Hyundai just before the commencement of their AFC Champions League campaign.
Nevertheless, after nine appearances for the team from the Ulsan Munsu Football Stadium - five of which came in the 2017 AFC Champions League Group Stage - Petratos mutually terminated his contract with the Tigers and is now set to feature for the Jets until 2019.
Having completed his medical in Newcastle on Tuesday, Petratos spoke of his satisfaction to be back in the A-League, and said he is looking forward to life at the Jets.
“I am very happy to join the Club,” Petratos said.
“Through the media I have been following the Jets and just seeing what’s been happening over the past few months is very exciting.
“Newcastle is the only current team in the Hyundai A-League that I haven’t scored against. Now that I have come here I kind of feel like it is my home. Now I won’t be able to score against the Jets, only for them.
“I’m looking forward to meeting the boys officially and to be in the team with them. I’ll work hard and play my part in the team, but two things I know I am here for are to assist and score goals.”
Newcastle Jets coach Ernie Merrick understands Petratos’ qualities and hopes that he can help mould the 124-game Hyundai A-League player into an even more effective attacking force during his time at the Jets.
“‘Dimi’ is an attacking midfielder who is confident on the ball, can retain possession and play key forward passes to strikers,” Merrick said.
“I hope to add to his game and encourage him to push more often into goal scoring areas.
“Dimi is an exciting player and a terrific signing for the Jets.”
Newcastle have also signed Daniel Georgievski, Glen Moss, Roy O’Donovan and Mario Shabow this off-season.
Ernie Merrick’s side have also let go Andrew Hoole, Daniel Mullen, Mateo Poljak, Labinot Haliti, Ma Leilei and Morten Nordstrand.
The Jets have one visa spot remaining on their roster, which will be designated to a Chinese player as required under Martin Lee’s chairmanship.
The Newcastle Herald reported Finnish striker Aleksandr Kokko had been allowed to explore options in Europe in the off-season but nothing materialised.
Kokko, who only scored one goal in his maiden season at Newcastle, has another year remaining on his contract.