Just 1003 turned out for the re-scheduled fixture moved from cyclone-hit Townsville to Skilled Park on the Gold Coast, beating the previous record low set by New Zealand Knights by around 600.

The few who showed up saw goals from Mitch Nichols and Henrique secure yet another win for Premiers Brisbane Roar while Andre Killian was credited with a debatable own goal by Milan Susak for Fury.

It only took 14 minutes for Roar to open proceedings through Nichols, set up by in-form James Meyer who teed the midfielder up at the top of the box.

His first shot was blocked but the scraps fell to him again and he followed up with a fierce volley that flew into the back of the net.

Despite their uncertain future and a guaranteed wooden spoon, Fury made a fist of things and took the game to Brisbane, engineering their fair share of chances.

In the 27th minute, Simon Storey danced past two orange shirts before launching a powerful shot from distance but Roar custodian Michael Theoklitos had it covered.

Ten minutes later Nichols should have had his brace when he McKay played the perfect ball in for him and should have gone for the shot, but he elected to play across the goal and it was easily dealt with by the Fury defence.

Barbarouses looked nailed on to score again in the opening stages of the second half after the Kiwi ran half the field on the counter attack to go one-on-one with Justin Pasfield, but defender Mark Hughes saved the day and chased him down with an inch-perfect tackle that robbed the Roar of a certain goal.

But in the 58th minute it came through some terrific one-touch trickery from Ange Postecoglou's men, with Thomas Broich, Barbarouses and Henrique all linking together to toy with the North Queensland rearguard.

From the edge of the box, Broich played in Barbarouses with a lob that was expertly flicked onto Henrique, and the Brazilian laid on a deft touch to chip the ball over Pasfield to double their advantage.

That 2-0 lead didn't last long, with North Queensland finally getting on the end of some good fortune as Andre Killian's cross from the left was driven straight into Milan Susak and deflected over a helpless Theoklitos in the 65th minute for a spectacular albeit unintentional goal.

Franz Straka's men continued to press forward in search of an unlikely equaliser but Roar held on for a win that stretches their undefeated streak to 24 games, with Saturday night's M1 derby against Gold Coast United set for a night of celebration with the return to Suncorp Stadium and the presentation of the Premier's Plate.

North Queensland will fly across the Tasman for their final match of the season against Wellington on Sunday, and with rumours about their precarious financial situation continuing to mount it may well be their last in the A-League.

Brisbane Roar 2 (Nichols 14', Henrique 58')
North Queensland Fury 1 (Killian 65')
Crowd: 1003 at Skilled Park, Robina