Perth Glory owner Tony Sage is predicting a massive 2017/18 season for the A-League with the addition of a commercial free-to-air TV broadcaster.
Speaking at Perth Glory’s season launch on Wednesday evening, Sage the introduction of one Saturday night game on Network Ten would be massive for the competition.
Sage, who has owned Glory solely since 2008, cited the network’s success with cricket’s Big Bash League since taking over the TV rights from Fox Sports in the competition’s third season. The Big Bash League has since exploded in popularity.
“I’ve spent the last 10 years supporting this league, we all do it because we’re passionate about football,” Sage said.
“We all do it because we want football to succeed in this country and the positive is this year we’re going to have a lot of eyeballs.
“For the first time, we’re going to have a commercial free-to-air network covering us.
“I don’t know if anyone remembers the Big Bash when it was on Fox solely four or five years ago. Since it moved to Channel 10 they’re getting a million plus views per game.
“Channel Ten did an enormous job with cricket. Ten are going to start telecasting this Saturday night.
“We hope to get a lot more viewers from that. That will help our sponsors, the league and everyone.”
Sage also outlined his expectations from a Perth perspective in 2017/18, demanding a top four finish and home final after finishing fifth the past two seasons.
“We ask for nothing else at Perth Glory than to be where we should be, near the top of the league,” Sage said.
“As long as we get a home final, we’ll be happy, that means top four.
“Kenny (Lowe) knows it, we only missed out by a breath last year. That was unfortunate, if we had a home final maybe we’d have made the Grand Final.”
Sage was also excited by the signing of Spanish midfielder Xavi Torres, who he said Diego Castro told him was a better player than the Johnny Warren medallist.