Brisbane Roar have spoiled Melbourne Victory's homecoming party and snared their first points of the A-League season with a feisty 3-1 win at AAMI Park.

Scott McDonald opened the scoring in the 16th minute, before Victory recruit Callum McManaman equalised with a stunning solo effort in the 24th.

But Victory paid the price for static defending when Macaulay Gillesphey headed the excellent Roar in front in the 60th minute, before Dylan Wenzel-Halls iced the win in the 79th in front of a stunned home crowd of 10,304.

"We probably didn't play the way we wanted to in the first half, but we obviously addressed that at halftime," Roar coach Warren Moon said.

"We changed a couple of things and performed how we hoped we could going into the game ... so I was really pleased and I thought we deserved it."

Victory hadn't played at their home ground since February and looked a far more aggressive and energetic outfit with a plethora of new faces.

But despite the home side's lively start in front of a boisterous home crowd, Brisbane drew first blood.

Roar fullback Corey Brown evaded Storm Roux's sliding tackle and found Wenzel-Halls, whose floating goal-bound shot was volleyed in by McDonald.

The linesman initially flagged McDonald offside but following a VAR review, he was shown to be kept onside by Victory's Nick Ansell.

Eight minutes later, Brisbane youngster Rahmat Akbari slipped while attempting to receive a pass from defence and McManaman pounced.

The winger took off, jinked around Brisbane's Riku Danzaki and cut a sizzling left-footed strike into the top corner.

In the 34th minute, Ansell's towering header hit the base of the post while seven minutes later Victory had appeals for a handball penalty against Jack Hingert waved away.

Victory looked primed to explode in the second half - but slumped, with coach Grant Brebner suggesting a lack of friendly games due to their post-Asian Champions League quarantine had contributed.

"We were OK in the first half and I didn't see it coming in the second half," Brebner said.

"I think there was an element of fitness around it, match fitness, because obviously we haven't played a game for three weeks."

Big-name Victory signing Rudy Gestede entered the game in the 57th minute but Brisbane took the lead minutes later when Gillesphey leapt highest at a corner to head home.

Victory's night was further soured when Marco Rojas - who pulled up sore in the first half - limped off in the 72nd minute with a hamstring injury.

Seven minutes later, Tom Aldred hoofed the ball out of defence, with Wenzel-Halls running onto it, cutting left around Ansell then back onto his right foot and finishing coolly to secure all three points.

In a curious fixture quirk, Victory and Roar will meet again in Brisbane next Sunday.