Wellington Phoenix coach Mark Rudan says the club aren’t chasing a marquee after recently missing out on Italy international Giuseppe Rossi.
Fox Sports revealed Phoenix had been in discussions with the 31-year-old ex-Manchester United, Fiorentina and Villarreal forward, but the deal broke down due to financial demands.
Rudan declined to discuss the situation during Friday’s press conference ahead of Saturday’s A-League clash with Western Sydney Wanderers.
“Nothing to talk about there,” Rudan said. “It’s done and dusted.
“There’s nothing to talk about. We move forward.”
However, Rudan was pressed on Wellington’s plans to chase other marquees, which the Nix boss indicated was unlikely.
“My main focus is on tomorrow’s game,” Rudan said.
“There’s nothing to talk about in that regard.”
Rossi was also reportedly interested in joining Sydney FC during the off-season, but his demands were too high, with the club opting for Adam le Fondre instead.
The US-born forward is a free agent after leaving Serie A club Genoa at the end of the 2017-18 season.