There’s been no offer from Stoke City for Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren according to Brisbane Roar coach John Aloisi.
The English Premier League club were linked with 23-year-old Maclaren this week in the English press but Aloisi denied a bid had been made.
The two-time Socceroo is out of contract at the end of the season and has been linked with a move away from Roar after the player’s agent Paddy Dominguez labelled the club’s initial offer as “disgusting”.
“There hasn’t been any offers at all for Jamie Maclaren or any other players,” Aloisi said.
“We know everyone’s going to be talking about him. There’s always speculation.
“There’s no offer and Jamie has been really good, focused on his football.
“He knows as a striker, people are going to be talking about him all the time. Good or bad, that’s just the way it is.”
Aloisi also backed Maclaren, who has netted six times this season, to continue to perform amid the speculation ahead of a crucial clash with leaders Sydney FC on Friday night.
“Last week even though he didn’t score, he looked really sharp. He was unlucky not to score,” Aloisi said.
“I’m expecting him to cause Sydney FC problems again tomorrow.”
Stoke City are 13th in the Premier League under coach Mark Hughes.
Eyefootball.com claimed Maclaren was one of three forward targets for Hughes during the January transfer window.