AUSTRALIA'S players will dedicate the upcoming Professional Footballers Australia Alex Tobin Medal Night to raising funds for those impacted by Queensland's recent flooding.
The night will be held at Crown’s Palladium Ballroom in
PFA President and Melbourne Heart captain Simon Colosimo spoke of the impact the floods have had on
“We’ve all be touched by the devastation experienced by so many Australians as a result of the unprecedented flooding in the past weeks,” said Colosimo. “As this is our most special night of the year, the players felt it only appropriate that we dedicate it to raising funds for those in our community that are doing it tough right now.”
“All of the players are keen to help,” he said. “In addition to the night, A-League players have committed to a donation being deducted from their salary to support the cause.”
The Tobin Medal, which Mark Viduka will receive on the night, recognises the true legends of Australian football who have demonstrated four key attributes throughout their careers: (1) leadership; (2) achievement as a player; (3) commitment to one’s fellow professionals; and (4) service and dedication to the game.
Viduka will become the fourth recipient of the Medal at the Gala evening on Monday 14 February 2011. Mark follows the late Johnny Warren OAM, Joe Marston and Craig Johnson as those to receive the honour from their peers.
The night will also include:
- The announcement of the PFA A-League Team of the Season;
- The awarding of the Kimon Taliadoros Scholarships to two players who excel in study away from the game;
- The inaugural awarding of the Craig Foster Media scholarship to a recently retired player seeking to forge a career in the football media;
- A celebration of the contribution Victorians have made to Australian football (including celebrating
’s great clubs); and Victoria
- The launch of the Victorian Premier League Season.
All Australian football fans are welcome to join Melbourne Heart, Melbourne Victory and the football family at the night.
What: PFA Alex Tobin OAM Medal Night
When: Monday 14 February 2011
Where: Crown’s Palladium Ballroom
Tickets: $195 pp ($1950 a table)
Go here to download a booking form or contact 03 9287 1888.