With coach Ange Postecoglou promised attacking football from the visitors to Ulsan Munsu Stadium, Brisbane took a deserved lead nine minutes before the break following a composed finish from Nick Fitzgerald

Brisbane, though, endured a nightmare start to the second half as Matthew Jurman was sent-off less than a minute after the restart only for goalkeeper Michael Theoklitos to save the resulting penalty from Lee Keun-ho.

Lee Jae-sung did eventually equalise for Ulsan after 54 minutes, although Brisbane could easily have snatched all three points after continuing to pose a threat despite their numerical disadvantage.

"I am very satisfied because even though we had a player sent-off, we played well," said Postecoglou.

"At half-time I felt that we were in a good position to take all three points, but the red card was disappointing.

"But we were able to defend well and I am satisfied with the draw."

Despite struggling for possession in the opening exchanges, Brisbane will have been disappointed not to take the lead inside the opening quarter of an hour with Massimo Murdocca, Fitzgerald and Thomas Broich all testing second-choice Ulsan goalkeeper Kim Seung-gyu.

But despite their promising start, Brisbane came close to falling behind after 19 minutes as a towering header from Ulsan captain Kwak Tae-hwi crashed into the crossbar.

And the home side came even closer nine minutes later as Julian Estiven Velez's half-volley from inside the area seemed destined for the back of the net until Brisbane defender Shane Stefanutto recovered to head clear off the goal-line with Theoklitos out of position.

Brisbane, though, took the lead after  36 minutes as Besart Berisha's clever one-touch lay-off from Ivan Franjic's low right-wing cross found the on-rushing Fitzgerald just inside the Ulsan penalty area and the 20-year-old coolly side-footed the ball through the legs of a defender and into the bottom corner out of the reach of Kim Seung-gyu's despairing dive.

But in the first minute of the second half Brisbane were reduced to 10 men as a misplaced pass from Erik Paartalu and a slip from Jurman opened the door for Kim Seung-yong, who was then upended just inside the area as the Brisbane defender attempted to recover.

Lee Keun-ho's penalty was saved by Theoklitos, but just eight minutes later Ulsan equalised as Lee Jae-sung swept home Velez's cross into the top corner.

Ulsan sought to exploit their numerical advantage but Brisbane produced a disciplined defensive display with Kim Seung-yong's header, which was comfortably gathered by Theoklitos, the only threat of note.

And in stoppage time, Brisbane could have snatched all three points but Berisha failed to find the target from a tight angle while under pressure.

"I really wanted three points from this game, but we drew 1-1," said Ulsan coach Kim Ho-gon.

"I felt like I understood Brisbane's strategy and style, but at half-time we did not have a solution to Brisbane's defence. And overall, I am not satisfied with our balance between attack and defence.

"We must now look at how to balance the schedule in the K-League and the AFC Champions League as it is a tough schedule."