The Cavaliers enjoyed the better of play against its visitors, who struggled to maintain any pressure on the home side.

It took until late for the deadlock to be broken with Steven Burton converting a penalty and Gully recruit Jason Hayne scoring his first goal for the club.

Both teams made one change from its last outing with the home side bringing Mathew Sanders into the side for Gary Wales.

The visitors opted to drop midfielder Daniel Vasilevski to the bench and bring Kyle Joryeff in.

The home side had the early advantage and almost opened the scoring on four minutes.

A Jeffrey Fleming shot fortuitously fell for Josh Groenewald, but Peter Zois pulled off a superb save from close range.

The Cavaliers looked to be playing with an improved patience going forward and midfielder Graham Hockless put a free kick wide on 10 minutes.

South became more settled defensively and pressed further up the park, before Groenewald hit a fizzing shot from 20 yards past the post.

The visitors were focusing their play down the left but Joryeff was showing the ability to prove dangerous on the other flank.

Neither team looked overly impressive, but the home side should have been ahead on 31 minutes.

After South striker Gianni De Nittis cheaply gave away possession, Andy Vargas played Fleming away on an overlapping run but Zois got down well to save his shot.

It fell for Vargas, who had continued his run, but he missed from six yards under pressure.

Both sides became reliant on long shots early in the second half, but only Burton forced Zois into a tricky save on the hour mark.

The game turned on 73 minutes, less than 10 minutes after Gully had introduced the influential Hayne.

Gully winger Jonathan Munoz played a long ball for Hayne, before he intercepted a header from Eddie Cetkin to be one-on-one with Zois.

He rounded the South custodian but was slow in getting his shot away, with Zois bringing down the Gully striker and receiving a yellow card.

Burton stepped up and sent Zois the wrong way to open the scoring.

The game began to open up but Zois denied Hayne when the striker hit a low shot towards his front post.

Vasilevski had come on for the last 20 minutes and he twice headed the ball over the bar from crosses.

South left back Rhodri Payne struck a long-range shot, but it was directly at Gully keeper Nikola Roganovic.

But the result was sealed for the home side on 82 minutes.

Vargas got through down the right before cutting his ball back for Hayne to apply the simplest of finishes.

They almost made it three with five minutes to play, but a header from Ryan Ollerton from a Vargas corner struck the post.

South wasted another chance through substitute Hamid Basma late on with his header going wide from a Joe Keenan cross.

It was a disappointing result and performance from the travelling side that saw Gully win its second game at home this season.