LAST Friday's 2-0 victory over Perth was the swansong for Con Constantine who has been ousted as Newcastle owner in favour of Nathan Tinkler who takes over till season's end.
FFA CEO Ben Buckley spoke today of the new ownership structure which sees Tinkler, a Hunter businessman, take over the club for the remainder of the season and possibly beyond.
But the fireworks no doubt will be later in the day when the passionate Constantine addresses the media in Newcastle.
And while Buckley said it was "regrettable" what happened to Constantine the FFA are looking long-term and hope Tinkler is the man to regenerate the 2008 grand final winners.
"He's obviously disappointed," Buckley said of Constantine. "We gave him the opportunity to give us the confidence and financial guarantees in the short and long-term - that wasn't forthcoming but our responsibility is to the game and the competition."
It's believed the discussions with Tinkler began in earnest at the start of this week although there had been contact over time with the Hunter businessman.
The move comes after the club's parlous financial state resulted in players being owed wages and the club securing a short-term $300,000 loan from the FFA.
The short-term deal with Tinkler secures the players' contracts for this season however it's still unclear how the situation will play out once this campaign is over.
But Buckley added: "We're very confident this isn't a short-term solution that this is a long-term plan and a long-term vision. He's a proud Novacastrian who wants to build a community asset.
"We didn't see failure as an option."